Prostatitis Forum & Social Network

Acute and chronic prostatitis discussion. Arnon Krongrad, MD, moderator.

The phrase, "Minimally Invasive Surgery."

Dr Krongrad,

What does this phrase actually mean? Or are you merely trying to make the surgery sound LESS invasive than it really is? I have been told on numerous ocassions by various urologists, that the removal of the prostate gland is a major surgery, which carries with it significant risks. This has always been a worry for me.

Can you please give us some details as to what your surgery involves? How is the prostate actually removed? Is the prostate tissue vaporised, then sucked out? How many incisions are made? And where? How long does the process take? What is a reasonable time for recuperation?

I am sure other forum members would like answers to these questions too.

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Chris here is something I found on google. http://www.lap-prostatectomy.com/ I think this is the one he uses?
http://www.davinciprostatectomy.com/index.aspx
All good questions. The terms we're using (major, less) imply relative judgments. This is of only some use. What really matters to patients is what happens in real terms.

It will help you I think to examine a great deal of content on this subject in two places. I will be pleased to elaborate and answer questions. Thank you.

1) Krongrad Institute web site -- this is a site that dates to 1999 when we started to do a procedure known as laparoscopic radical prostatectomy. In very brief summation: one night in the hospital, minimal blood loss (in my hands no transfusions in eight years), and an average analgesic use of two Tylenols in the first 24 hours. The site is written for men with prostate cancer, not prostatitis, but the surgical technique is the same one. The only prostatitis story on there, and the one what got me thinking about all this, is the story of David Radford (I have since done another LRP for prostatitis but hat story is not posted; it's only a few days old and still evolving).

2) an introduction to minimally invasive prostate surgery -- delineation of technical jargon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Off Site Posts

GENERAL DISCLAIMER

The Prostatitis social network is intended for informational and educational purposes only. It is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services.

Any person who appears to knowingly solicit and/or render medical advice or promote a professional or commercial service on this site may be removed by the administrators without notice.

Information provided on this site should not be used for diagnosing or treating acute or chronic prostatitis or any other health problem or disease.

The Prostatitis social network is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, please consult your health care provider.

© 2024   Created by Arnon Krongrad, MD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service